The Great Onion Knighthood

What Are You Playing Now?

This board is for video game discussion. Please try to stay on topic, but some antics will be tolerated.

Re: What Are You Playing Now?

Postby GodModeGOD » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 am

AD: >early thoughts
It's not GoW at all. Bastardized setting, themes, tones, genre/identity, characterization, etc. An open betrayal (versus the backstabbing we had to work for a whisper of confirmation out of Papy) being it was stated as "not for fans". Taking our beloved for a ride to abuse the material (not just the brand name this time).

>pick it up
If only to use it as a Frisbee, sure. As with all fans (not just vets), I encourage acquiring it only by way of not getting it through means that give money to the studio (used, for instance) as I had with GoW:A. Rewarding such behavior is ill-advised.

>good reviews
From non-gamers (glorified bloggers titled "game journalists"), yes. Most of which are cuck soyboys (and the target audience of Nu-Barlog) complete with the open-mouth, hipster glasses and signature beard (sported by the reworked Kratos in the dad simulator featuring plenty of slow walking with forced dialogue). Even casual fans should be insulted by this stunt. Thought I weighed in here at some point.

NOTE: To note it, this is the only entry I didn't get (didn't pre-order or buy new with GoW:A), the only one with no TUGOWU coverage (speculation, tactics/tips, testing, etc.) and would seal the deal Ascension set-up (driving vets away *now keeping them away*).

Lord: >direct sequel
With a huge story gap not at all covered (talk is of some comic trash that will probably also fail *wouldn't even be canon*). It is a soft reboot. They failed to milk us with GoWIII's pre-order bullspit. They leveled their game for GoW:A's effort (rather than be a swan song, it was a cash grab) luring retards with multiplayer that isn't like the core game (which itself had been altered down to the engine level to make them match). Executive mandate at the expense of the fans they are trying to exploit. The forking nerve. This before blaming the failure not on their antics or spit execution, but on the formula itself (washing their hands of the sin, then going for another round by making a TLoU clone of it with simple aping of BB).

NOTE: I'd even spoken with Derek Daniels (regarding old GoW1 questions I could no longer find online as the Q&A was gone from history even with archiving tools existing now) who asked about my thoughts (had to let him down easy). He was reported to have pleaded his case for at least pulling the camera from out of Step-Dad's butt only to be overruled ('higher minded' movie causes *as with their talk of the script being not just a 'game script'* took priority to the game's playability).
GodModeGOD
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Abaddon Daemon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:24 pm

Sadly... that's kind of exactly what I expected from the game, and exactly why I *havent* bought it already. It just didn't *feel* like it was going to be a God of War game to me. More like Sony saying it doesn't want to let go of the name brand recognition.
I am Abaddon Daemon
You can call me AD
Abaddon Daemon
Grand Councilor
Grand Councilor

Postby GodModeGOD » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:11 pm

>recognition
Possibly also licensing law type stuff (movies being made with a series name to keep property rights). Can't say for sure how this applies to vidya (if at all), but I wouldn't be surprised if that too was a factor (while reminding people of the actual games for another re-release in time).

While amusing to see those who have never played the originals come out of the woodworks (lacking even the excuse of being youths at the time), it isn't all that great having so many at once (pre-launch) with the big names (couldn't keep up with it *while having work unlike the old days*) even before others start talking up this option post-launch (and having enjoyed their feature film).

Not unexpected, but the anonymous nature of imageboards means I can't easily goad retards into even trying to talk gameplay seriously (they just disappear) much less goad them with attacks on their pride into playing (if they're mouthy enough, they'll bring up other titles only to be found wanting there and have them dressed down *made to understand the reality that they all aren't 'that' different, are quite open to cheese, they have some mistaken beliefs about that which they've put on a pedestal *or thumbed their noses at*, etc.).

GFAQs hasn't proved too much better recently as I don't have to the time to keep the pressure up (and I know the know-nothing casuals would cry to the soyboy cuck mods *SJWs having quite replaced the old jerks which were bad enough*). Still, probably better to make an attempt at bothering with the place despite having so much else I'd rather do than just goad retards into being taught their place (with so few willing to even begin learning vanilla VH). Truly a young man's game, it is. Or a retired old one, anyway. Or a NEET. Or Gold-digger.

NOTE: I'm to understand one rules change was making it a violation to use a name for someone other than their exact screen name. Imagine being such thin-skinned fodder for word-based anal devastation.

I'll probably have Oni (an old friend) play Inside and maybe Little Nightmares (much as I had him play Limbo). He still needs to go back to DeS (aside from challenge run work). I myself have runwork to finish with so much. Currently WotN's DLCs (and all sub-missions *also, the Abyss*) with Nioh before NUR+ (with DLC) and maybe the alternative take Royboy offered up. This before returning to Souls work. Or GoW:A...

NOTE: This aside from games I've still never truly played (and their challenge runs). Plenty of those. Sadly, I'll probably never get back to things that went on hiatus too long and had the notes lost (vet board, GFAQs, etc.) as with Dead Space 2 (or the last of my Infamous runs *was one-third the way through*).

Oni isn't a capable enough opponent for me to bother learning more of the available tech with King (in Tekken 7). I still need to convince him of this truth, so we can get back to training him (so I'll have a reason to bother *as going 400-0 each visit is just him driving half an hour for an ass-beating*).

On more of a fun note, DI has a slight reason to return to it. Aside from having the DLCs (got them with the game) that I'd never tried (or the alt.character), I never got around to challenge run work. I don't think I could ever make myself bother with something as easy as Holy ONLY again (as that was my 'carry over' VH run). No, I'd be wanting a piece of Fresh VH Unholy ONLY NUR+. While there are troubling bits along the way (in particular gauntlets prior to the end), it was always the understanding that Lucifer S1 like this is basically impossible. He has a lot of HP, he has four phases (each with different, long patterns of unblockable shockwaves to memorize), the set-up only lets you attack his face (not the body, which is money) thus waiting out his turns to quickly grab the hand when time (pulled up to his face for some air hits before doing it all again likely a half dozen times per phase) and the nightmare (true issue) that is totally random tornadoes that they decided should have activation damage (even if you do the QTE to prevent the bigger 'fail damage', you are chipped away to death long before you could possibly win) while teaming with the pattern of unblockables forcing you into the air (so you can't properly keep yourself safe). The only potential source of hope (might still be a motherforker if it really works) is a relic that's lvl1 ability says it lets you block (even air block) any move (even unblockables *remains to be seen if it applies to the shockwaves much less the 'grab' mini-game type twisters*).
GodModeGOD
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby cren3856 » Sat May 26, 2018 4:12 pm

Played a pretty good chunk of Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon the past few days. It's really good despite being a little on the easy side most of the time. Highly recommended.

Spoiler: show
So far I've finished it on normal, nightmare, and Soul Arts Zangetsu. Nightmare mode bosses should have been the baseline.
cren3856
Gold Knight
Gold Knight

Postby Abaddon Daemon » Sun May 27, 2018 11:43 am

You know after the Mighty No. 9 fiasco... I'd be pretty happy with a game whose only problem is "a tad too easy".
I am Abaddon Daemon
You can call me AD
Abaddon Daemon
Grand Councilor
Grand Councilor

Postby Abaddon Daemon » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:28 am

Working on a "minimal level" 7th Saga run. It's... killing me. It's amazing to me how after all of these years, this is *still* one of the most infuriating games I've ever played.
I am Abaddon Daemon
You can call me AD
Abaddon Daemon
Grand Councilor
Grand Councilor

Postby GodModeGOD » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Cren: >Normal is Easy
To be expected in this generation (padding their undeserved ego as casuals *fancy themselves 'average' at least*).

AD: I'm sending another your way. This time for DMC. He notes being of the 'cuhrayzee' mindset (just a bit), which is unfortunate, but perhaps you can get his mind right (maybe with DMC1). He isn't too much of a fork about kind of guy (more just against exploiting the piss out of the game *a bit scrubby as such*).

NOTE: Just surprised Birdman didn't turn up here for El Shaddai, but I suppose that's for the best (for you). He's been working on Knack 2 videos, it seems. Amusing as that is.
GodModeGOD
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby GodModeGOD » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:44 am

Nioh is on the back burner while Oni has his system. T7 is also paused until he gets good enough to get another butt beating (hopefully less severe *so I have reason to advance with my play*). ME:SoW might get played down the road (year or so). Perhaps RDR2. Hard to say. Still have Souls runwork, really. However, because of a sub-weapon discussion coming up again at the Nu-GoW forum, one fellow spoke as if Artemis would dominate the options existing in each entry. This made me want to do a thought experiment (mock-up run coverage for each entry with GoW1 Artemis as it was, but fit to how that title worked *as faithful as one can* to see how it plays out throughout the runs). I've worked through each (in order of release) to where I am now (one-third of the way into GoW:A). I'll be slowing down considerably as I find myself thinking I should also be doing the run skeleton and finishing the old testing run while this presents a chance (getting over that hump allowing me to do the runwork remaining with said entry *to close the book on it*). GoW1 VH Clone War still mocks me (NUR and higher), but I did get to test a theory (it failed *as expected*, but it was worth verifying since nobody else was going to bother *as I expect with my ToA W1 solution*).
GodModeGOD
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby cren3856 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:16 pm

cren3856
Gold Knight
Gold Knight

Postby Abaddon Daemon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:36 pm

I havent been able to work *any* interest up for the new God of War at all, in spite of how much the internet raves about. This video seems to capture a lot of my worst fears, in particular the whole, "They stopped making GoW games to make *just another* contemporary game, like every other one that's been coming out lately". I compared it to Horizon: Zero Dawn to Fack and he made fun of me, but I dont think he entirely understood what I was saying. I wasnt necessarily saying the new GoW was a H:ZD ripoff (since I havent played it I cant make that conclusion). I was just saying... it seems like they've just tried to suddenly play catch-up and be like "everyone else", and that bugs me.

For the record, I had and still have the exact same complaint about Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Many people sings its praises as if it's the third coming of jesus himself, but the way I see it was just Nintendo going, "well fork, we can't make a good Zelda game to save our lives anymore, we might as well take the standard Open World formula, mix in some Dark Souls, apply the Nintendo IP to it, and BAM!". That's not even to say I think BotW isnt a good game... I just dont think it deserves praise for such a shallow, hollow attempt at creativity. Certainly not the kind of praise it has gotten.
I am Abaddon Daemon
You can call me AD
Abaddon Daemon
Grand Councilor
Grand Councilor

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming