The Great Onion Knighthood

What Are You Watching?

Welcome to the social board! Forum rules are pretty loosely enforced here, so be prepared for anything.

Re: What Are You Watching?

Postby Onion Knight » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Still watching Doctor Who, god knows why. After the crappy disappointments that were seasons 8 and 9 (Sonic Sunglasses? The Doctor holds a medieval rock concert with an electric guitar and a tank? Fork you, Moffat) I was pretty much expecting to be disappointed by season 10... and I was!

To be fair it was better than the last... 4? ish seasons, but I guess Moffat only had enough time to stick his head so far up his butt this time. There were some stupid episodes, there were some decent episodes, there was a lot of rehashing of concepts that Moffat had already used but thought were so clever he needed to bring back so he could revel in how clever he was. The finale... oh gods, the finale. Despite an amazing setup in 'World Enough and Time', the final episode dropped the ball on... everything. The original form Mondasian Cybermen? Wasted. The amazing talents of Michelle Gomez and Jon Simm? Wasted. The first tv multi-Master story? Wasted. Any impact from what Bill was going through? Wasted. And the very last moment, which sets up for a First/Twelfth Doctor teamup? We'll have to wait for Christmas, but I have a strange feeling it's going to be wasted.

Here's hoping that Chris Chibnall can pull the show out of Moffat's pretentious, overly self-referential pit. If he can survive the backlash over casting a female Doctor, at least.

On the other hand, I still have Classic Who to get through. Just started on Pertwee's second season (his first was boring). This one pits him against Roger Delgado's Master, who is just devilishly good. Pertwee and Delgado actually pull off the whole 'friends who want to kill each other' way better than Capaldi and Gomez. If only the show back then wasn't so... 70's. And Pertwee is good as the Doctor, and has won me over despite a series of lackluster stories, but I still think Troughton was leagues better.
"It's either 'your mom' jokes or me."
"Then I, like so many men before me, must reluctantly choose your mom."
Onion Knight
Grand Councilor
Grand Councilor

Postby cren3856 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:34 pm

Decided to watch the Netflix Daredevil series in preparation for The Punisher series they're doing. Daredevil really surprised me. Season 1 was great, and Frank in season 2 was top notch (the Elektra stuff, not so much). Went in with pretty low expectations and got a pretty good show out of it.

Unfortunately the same can't be said about Frank's own show. In the past few years I've become a bit of a Punisher fanboy (namely the Ennis and Aaron runs). Since Daredevil handled the character pretty well, was all the origin story needed, and ended with enough hints that Frank is going to go out and continue his war with crime, I had very high hopes for the show. Daredevil season 2 ends with Frank getting a lead on Micro (his logistics/quartermaster guy) while also having a small arsenal ready to go. Pretty easy to see how his own series would start, right?

Nope! After killing five people in the first few minutes, he burns all his stuff and starts working construction. The only real street criminals he kills are in the first episode. Then it quickly turns into a dumb CIA government conspiracy plot with too many unnecessary side plots that ultimately takes away ALL of Frank's motivation to be a vigilante despite trying to shoehorn in the "Frank loves war more than his family" revelation at the last minute with no buildup. To top it all off he mangles someone instead of killing him because "living is harder than dying."

Spoiler: show
Which is forking bullspit. You have to really, REALLY piss Frank off to have him do something more than dispassionately execute you. Even the guy that dug up the bones of his family and pissed on them was only gut shot at the end of it.

Really dumb that Daredevil season 2 is a better Punisher show than the actual Punisher show.
cren3856
Gold Knight
Gold Knight

Postby Abaddon Daemon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:03 pm

This is very sad for me to hear... but not inconsistent with the other things I've heard/read.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Daredevil so much. I am a big proponent of telling people who are interested in the Marvel Netflix shows, "Daredevil is the only one that's actually worth watching". For some reason everyone lost their mind over how good Luke Cage and Jessica Jones were, and how bad Iron Fist was... but I find them all to be about the same level of "meh... okay".

Daredevil stands above the others by far. the first half of season 2, in particular, is damn near perfection. And like you... I was just *dying* for the Punisher series.

I guess, unfortunately, my feelings of, "Daredevil is the only one worth watching" are going to remain unchecked. =/
I am Abaddon Daemon
You can call me AD
Abaddon Daemon
Grand Councilor
Grand Councilor

Postby Zambroscar » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Have you ever watched Peep Show?
Zambroscar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Abaddon Daemon » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:52 pm

lol. No, I havent. But every time I hear anything about it I always think of you, Hades =P
I am Abaddon Daemon
You can call me AD
Abaddon Daemon
Grand Councilor
Grand Councilor

Previous

Return to Social Board