The Great Onion Knighthood

Official Novel Release Thread

This forum is for Onion Knight related threads only. Please remain on-topic at all times.

Re: Official Novel Release Thread

Postby cren3856 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 am

I'll have to re-read the previous chapters before getting to it. Already started on them.
cren3856
Gold Knight
Gold Knight

Postby cren3856 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:59 am

Finished everything, then took about a week for chapter 9 to sit before reading it a second time.

General impressions:
Spoiler: show
At first, I thought the new novel seemed unfocused, even accounting for the release schedule. Simply too many plot lines going on at once, particularly the Calie stuff. It was only after reading it all again that I realized that her chapters are the best way to organically inform the reader about the world. Overall I like it a bit more now and am still excited for what's to come.

Chapter 9:
Spoiler: show
Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot to say as I suspect the majority of my questions/suspicions will be answered properly in a later chapter, and as much as I enjoy direct spoilers I'd rather discover a few things naturally.
"Show me the light, or I shall forsake the dark" is a really cool line. Glad to know the Phare clan were always fans of theatrics.

Is "Not all of us are become demons." just a weird speech pattern or an error?
cren3856
Gold Knight
Gold Knight

Postby Abaddon Daemon » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 pm

Glad to hear your impressions.

It's possible that you're right on both counts. The new novel may be a bit more scattershot in its approach, *and* still the best way to grow the world organically... both things can be true. Unfortunately as a writer I am responsible for the reader's *first* impression, as well as subsequent ones.

That said... I have to admit, my goal with this novel isnt to live up to the old ones. It cant be. Ive had a hard time not always trying to one-up myself and be the "best version" of a writer that I've ever been... but I just don't think there's any way I can make this book reach the heights of the Vaelius novel. So instead Ive decided to let this book be what it is, unto itself. Will it wind up being my weakest novel? Possibly. But... I think that's okay, and I think I'm finally starting to be okay *with* it. This book just might have to be one of those books that's for "People who are already fans of the universe". Even the Silmarillion has people who appreciate it now, for what it is.

As to your last question, yes, I was going for a linquistic flourish there. Like you said, trying to make him a bit theatrical.

Glad you liked the light/dark line... i was a big fan of it myself, but I couldn't tell how much I was being melodramatic. But... with the Cainites, sometimes melodrama is what works. While it's not *my* personal style, it is *theirs*. Onion Knight and I actually discussed this a bit at length, and I finally decided to just embrace their gothy, dramatic nature.
I am Abaddon Daemon
You can call me AD
Abaddon Daemon
Grand Councilor
Grand Councilor

Previous

Return to The Great Onion Knighthood